Supporting the D.I.Y. Community

Monday, July 16, 2007

Happy Birthday to Made Boutique!

Yesterday was our One Year Anniversary! It went by really fast but boy was it a LONG year...

So many things have happened since opening; I organized two craft fairs, had 5 art openings, hosted a knitting class, participated in a fashion show, moved locations, and even got some press!

I also learned a lot about myself and a lot about the retail business. For example, not everyone is going to find something they like in your store- do NOT take it personally. Having someone come into the store and tell you they LOVE EVERYTHING, makes up for the small percentage of people who don't like anything.

For those of you who are thinking of starting your own business, here are the top 5 things I love and hate about owning my business.

LOVE:
1) I am my own boss. I do whatever I want whenever I want.
2) I get to worry about fashion and style and not importing and exporting. Reading fashion magazines is an essential part of my job.
3) Telling people you own a store and then hearing them say they've always wanted to do that is very gratifying. I did something people only ever dream of doing.
4) No office politics or drama.
5) Variety- every day is a different challenge.

HATE:
1) It is a lot of work. I work 6 days a week and every weekend is spent at the shop.
2) Financial instability- you never know if it is going to be a good sales day or a bad sales day.
3) It is so hard telling artists that I have chosen not to accept their work in the store. I usually take the cowardly way out and just never email them back.
4) Trying to explain to customers why an item costs more at my store than at Old Navy is really starting to get old. It's HANDMADE people!
5) I think about the store 24/7. It is always on my mind and it's very hard to "take a break" from it.

Generally, the Love outweighs the Hate and if I could go back in time I would do it all over again.

Thanks to all of my awesome customers and my amazing, supportive family- I could not have done it without you.

I can't wait for our Second Anniversary!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very moving, honest post. Congratulations on your successes and determination!

1:04 PM

 
Blogger Cherry Runway said...

Thank you so much for not sugar coating owning a business! As a future brick and moter business owner myself, I appreacite the honesty!

Congratulations!

9:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home